Friday, we got together with some friends we hadn't seen in a long time. One of the good things about still being in Utah, is I have been able to get to know Jeff's friends from high school. Jeff & Kris have been friends since elementary school and conveniently, Kimberlee and I get along great as well. It is hard to get our schedules to coincide, but we always enjoy getting together. We ate pizza and cookies and enjoyed catching up.
Saturday, we started out the day with a lovely snowstorm on the way to the Oquirrh Mountain Temple. (This is one of the bad things about still living in Utah-the snow.) Jeff's cousin and his wife just adopted an adorable little girl and were having her sealed to them in the Oquirrh Mountain Temple. (In the LDS faith we believe that we can be sealed to our families for time and all eternity. For more information check out http://www.mormonnewsroom.org/article/sealing). It was wonderful to be present for such a wonderful event in their lives! Sadly, I don't have a picture of the happy family, but we did get a random couple to take a picture of us.
Jeff & I in front of the Oquirrh Mountain LDS Temple. It was very cold and snowy!
Since we had a wedding reception in SLC that night, we decided to just stay up in Salt Lake Valley for the day. (Note to self, keeping a long skirt clean from slush is difficult on a snowy day.) We ran some errands and then went to Red Robin for lunch. Red Robin did well at first, but they were having issues that day apparently. While we were waiting for our food, we watched as two people (with two different waiters) had to send their food back for some problem. When our food came I had to send mine back (a third waiter). Then, once we were ready for the check the guy brought the wrong check. Luckily, we still had awhile before the reception so we had time to wait. The food tasted good, but the service was not impressive!
After lunch, Jeff decided he wanted to visit Trolley Square (which happened to be right next door to the reception). I had heard of Trolley Square, but never been there. We enjoyed just walking around and window shopping. We did enter one store, although we felt a bit out of place in our Sunday clothes. There were some interesting ... fashions.
Finally, it was time for the reception. We headed over to the reception, dropped off our gift, said congratulations to the couple and left. Jeff suggested since it was still early and we were in SLC it would be a good time to check out the lights at Temple Square. This started out as a great idea. We parked by City Creek and took some pictures. It was beautiful with the fountain, the lights, and the falling snow.
We then walked over to Temple Square. Again, beautiful with the lightly falling snow and Christmas lights.
Then...the wind and snow decided to pick up. For some reason the snow stuck more in Jeff's hair more than mine.
After that we booked it back to the car as dress pants and a skirt are not exactly warm. Even though it was very cold, I am glad we did it. It isn't Christmas without seeing the temple lights. I grew up going to see the lights at the Washington DC Temple and since I moved to Utah I have tried to see the lights at the SLC Temple every year. As we were leaving Jeff said, "Ok, now it can be Christmas time."
When we pulled out of the parking garage we realized we were not getting home any time soon. The snow decided to pick up even more. A drive that normally takes under an hour took two! Halfway through the drive we ended up behind a line of snowplows, although they went slow at the least the road was clearer. I couldn't believe how many people were driving crazy! There were several times I was sure there would be an accident, but thankfully we didn't pass any accidents on our way home. This was a day that I was very glad Jeff believes in always having at least once 4 wheel drive vehicle. Also, I am glad Jeff is such a good driver! Below are some pictures once we got off the freeway.
The next morning, Jeff's cousin blessed (https://www.lds.org/manual/family-guidebook/priesthood-ordinances-and-blessings) their little girl in church. (Sorry no pictures from Sunday!) So we went out again to brave the storm. Luckily, it was not nearly as bad as the day before. The blessing was beautiful and again it was wonderful to share in this happy time with them! After church, we all went back to their house for soup and chili. It was great catching up with Jeff's extended family. We are very blessed to live so close to so much of his family.
December 6-8, 2013
No comments:
Post a Comment